Tax Investigation Fee Protection Insurance
HMRC is giving individuals and businesses a harder time by:
- Carrying out more tax enquiries and compliance checks
- Selecting taxpayers for investigation at random or for no good reason
- Using wider powers to visit homes and businesses
- Charging extra tax, interest and penalties
- Allowing less time to pay any tax due
Anyone who pays tax can suffer an enquiry or compliance check by HMRC. If this happens to you:
- You will have to prove that HMRC's suspicions are unfounded
- HMRC's detailed and intrusive questions will take time to answer
- Enquiries can drag on for months or sometimes years
- Professional fees of hundreds or thousands of pounds may become due as a result
We provide a service to clients under which, in the event of an HMRC enquiry or inspection:
- You will not be charged for most professional costs incurred in your defence
- You will not have to concede to HMRC's demands because of financial pressures
By subscribing to this service, you will have the comfort of knowing that we can fully defend you at no extra cost if you fall under HMRC's spotlight.
Other benefits of the service
As an additional benefit, complimentary expert telephone advice can be obtained on:
- Employment law
- Health & safety matters
- General legal issues
This advice can be very valuable, particularly to many business clients, and is available to all subscribers to the service who need it.
Professional fees incurred in respect of:
• Corporation Tax and Income Tax full or aspect enquiries
• PAYE/NIC compliance checks from the outset and disputes with HMRC following such checks
• IR35/Employment Status/CIS enquiries and disputes
• VAT compliance checks from the outset and disputes with HMRC following such checks
• Enquiries under Section 60 or 61 of the VAT Act 1994, provided that at the culmination of such investigation it is proved that the policyholder was not found guilty of dishonesty, fraud or fraudulent intent
• Business record checks, inspections and interventions under HMRC’s Information & Inspection Powers at Schedule 36 FA 2008
• Up to £250 of costs relating to an informal request for information by HMRC, by telephone or other means
• Inheritance tax/ Probate return enquiries
• Stamp Duty and Stamp Duty Land Tax Enquiries
• National Minimum Wage / National Living Wage enquiries
• Child tax credit enquiries
• Student Loan enquiries
• Gift Aid enquiries
• Auto enrolment return enquiries where the Policyholder has been engaged to complete the appropriate reporting statements and declarations
• Code of Practice 8 investigations, provided that at the culmination of such investigation it is proved that the policyholder was not found guilty of dishonesty, fraud or fraudulent intent
Enquiries into quarterly and annual digital returns will be covered when HMRC’s digital tax strategy is implemented
- Personal Tax Returns normally covered free of charge for directors, company secretaries, members, partners and their spouses / civil partners
- Enquiries into directors etc Tax Returns are covered even if there is no enquiry into the main business
- No additional premium required for mid policy incorporations e.g. Sole Trader to Ltd Company
What period is covered?
Our current subscription period is from 1st November 2018 to 31st October 2019.
This means that should an HMRC enquiry be opened between these dates and you have and active subscription then you will be covered.
How do I subscribe to the service?
If you are an existing client simply follow the guidance we send you or contact us for more information.